You are in this together. You have made a commitment to each other–to love each other, support each other, care for each other. But that promise may not always be easy to uphold. Life gets in the way. Stress from work, parenting, and other life circumstances can put a wedge between you and your partner.
How Couples Counseling can help you.
You may find yourself stuck in a ‘loop’, going around and around like two fighters in a ring, each of you using communication strategies that are harmful, hurtful, and disrespectful. Your strategies are ineffective. They don’t get you anywhere, except back to where you started, arguing about the same things over and over again, with little to no resolution. Couples counseling will help you learn more effective strategies so you can finally break through that old loop and start to heal, rebuild, and strengthen your relationship.
Affairs, both emotional and/or physical, behavioral addictions (i.e. sex, gambling, internet), and past intimate partner violence harm relationships. These behaviors damage trust and sense of safety. Relationship therapy will help you face these events, move through necessary healing, and talk more openly about the future of the relationship. You can face the trauma together, in the safety of the therapy room.
** If you are currently the victim of domestic violence couples counseling will not be appropriate. Please call for more information about DV and resources available to you.
Your relationship is great. You communicate and solve problems effectively. All is well – with the exception that one or both of you are having sexual difficulties. Loss of desire, erectile dysfunction, delayed or pre-mature ejaculation, painful sex, difficulties with penetration, can have harmful effects on even the healthiest relationships. Through couples counseling these sexual challenges can be addressed together.
COUPLES INTIMACY ENRICHMENT
This is a 10-12 session program to help you build a stronger emotional, sensual, and sexual connection. This structured program gives you a step by step approach, that is active and fun. You will learn how to use sensate focus and mindfulness to get better connected to your own body and heighten your own sensual/sexual sensations. The program also strengthens emotional intimacy while you learn to talk more openly with each other about your sexual needs, preferences, desires.
INITIAL COUPLES CONSULTATION
- We will all meet together for 60-90 minutes
- each of you will be given the opportunity to share your perspective and beliefs about why you are seeking counseling.
- We will discuss the challenges you are having in your relationship
- We will explore and identify your mutual goals
- You will receive solution-focused recommendations
COUPLES CONSULTATION AND ASSESSMENT
- We will meet together for 2 hours
- Couples Consultation as described above.
- Complete and discuss relationship assessments
- This may be recommended
- I meet with each partner for 90 minutes
- It is an in-depth assessment focused on each partner’s lived experiences and beliefs
- In-depth interview that helps me gain a better understanding of who you are and your personal perspectives about the relationship.
- Explore and define your own individual goals
“Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”